With our Resource Capacity Planner – Lite Excel template. you can easily manage and optimize your project resources and streamline your project management process with ease.
With this excel template, you can
- Ensure all the tasks can be completed during the planning period given the resources’ availability.
- Ensure optimal utilization of available resources i.e., proper distribution of resources across tasks to minimize under- and over-utilization.
There are four, fully automated output sheets in the Capacity planner excel template: Dashboard, Calendar, Project View and a Resource View.
Once the capacity/demand data is filled, you can view this fully automated dashboard. This is divided into two sections, lets look at each of them in detail:
The Demand Assigned Dashboard shows the total demand vs. the assigned demand status at a quick glance.
Here you can see projects, project categories and roles that are not fully assigned. Say, from the above screen shot, we can see that the role of “Tester” still has unassigned demand.
Here’s where the next part of the dashboard, the Capacity Utilization comes in handy! This shows the roles and resources that are either in surplus or with deficit capacity.
One can easily assign available resources by looking at the above dashboard to projects or specific tasks that need immediate attention. For our example, here we can see that the role “Tester” seem to have surplus capacity that can be assigned to meet the demand.
This way the dashboard can aid in our goal of achieving close to 100% optimal resource utilization and to meet a 100% demand.
On the left side of the Dashboard sheet, you will have the slicers (filters) that you can use to drill down to specific Resource and Role. Please note that the Dashboard provides the metrics for the entire planning period duration in aggregate.
This calendar provides you with an overview based on either at the Role or the Resource level (dimensions).
The calendar is very flexible you can choose to view it for either Capacity, Demand or Capacity-Demand, Utilization% making it easy for you to track.
Use this Calendar to get a quick glance of available resources over a period of time to efficient project allocation.
You have the flexibility to choose the time dimension ranging from Daily to Annually.
Similar to the calendar, get a project level overview of the demand allocation. This visual shows, for a chosen time dimension (from Daily to Annually) the Projects and the list of resources currently on these projects.
What if there is a need to have a similar Resource-level view? We have you covered! The Resource View gives you just that.
All of the visuals have a set of slicers to enable to you drill-down on each of the visual to a granular level.
- Automated Actionable Output
- Interactive Dashboard
- Customizable Calendar View
- Project/Resource Views
- Practical Functionality
- Multiple Aggregation Periods: Analyze data at various levels – Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, and Annual.
- Support for Company Holidays.
- Handles vacation and overtime.
- Allocate same resource to multiple projects.
- Enter availability for a range of dates easily.
- Default Capacity: The template comes with predefined limits of 200 Resources, 25 Roles, 100 Projects& Project categories, 200 Holidays, and the template allows a maximum of 2 years planning period.
- Customization Option: If you need a customized solution to suit your specific requirements, please reach out to email@example.com with details.
Please see detailed step-by-step user guide for how to use this capacity planner excel template.
If there are any questions about this template, please see the Product Support page for more information.