- Excel Template (Generic): indzara_Loan_Comparison_EMI_Payment_Calculator_Generic_v1
- Excel Template (India): indzara_Loan_Comparison_EMI_Payment_Calculator_India_v1
Purpose of the template
- This template calculates
- 1) EMI
- 2) Total Interest paid during the duration of the loan
- 3) Last Payment Month
- 4) Number of Payments
- It allows you to compare three different loan scenarios based on their EMI, Interest, Last Payment Month and Number of Payments.
- For example, you can compare loans from three different banks if they have different interest rates or loan period.
- You can also compare how much savings you can get if you pre-pay your loan. You can enter up to 12 pre-payments for each loan.
- You can print the loan comparison and the detailed payment schedule (Amortization schedule).
- Loan of 20 lakhs at 11% interest rate
- Loan of 20 lakhs at 10% interest rate
- Loan of 20 lakhs at 10% interest rate with pre-payments made during the course of the loan
Step 2: Enter details of pre-payments if you are planning to pre-pay. Otherwise, please leave this empty. The image below shows the pre-payments entered in Scenario 3.
Step 4: See the Loan Payment and Amortization Schedule section to see the month by month details on interest paid, principal paid and remaining balance.
- Assumes monthly loan payments.
- Loan Period can be up to 30 years.
- EMI (Equated Monthly Installment) calculation is for the end of the period. In the example above, loan begins on June 1, 2013. First payment is due on July 1, 2013 (end of first period).
- All payment dates are on the first day of each month.
- EMI is rounded up to the nearest paisa (2 digits).
- Assuming no penalty for pre-payments.
- Pre-payments (also called as extra payments) can happen any time during the loan tenure.
- If pre-payments exceed the remaining balance, the extra amounts (in the pre-payments) will not be added to the payments.
I hope you find this helpful when you are trying to make the decision on your loans (home loans, property loans or auto loans). There are many EMI calculators online however this template allows you to compare multiple loan scenarios in one view and also allows pre-payments to be entered.