Have you wondered if it would be handy to have a product catalog for your small business? Did you know that we can create the entire online product catalog or online store experience within Excel? Without payment processing, of course 🙂 You could use this to share your product info with your prospects and customers in an interactive tool.
This is how the product catalog/store appears in Excel.
For more features try our premium template Small Business Digital Catalog
If this sounds interesting, please read further on the functionality and for how to use this (hint: it’s so easy. Just enter your data and you are done). You can download this Excel template for free using the link below.
PRODUCT CATALOG – FEATURES
- Filter products by Categories
- Search products by keywords (on Product Name)
- Sort products by Price (Ascending or Descending)
- Scroll to see products in sets of 8
- Add thumbnail images to appear on Catalog
- Add links to website as needed on product detail sheets
- Catalog links to individual product detail sheets
- Format the catalog as needed with usual Excel formatting options
- Customize product detail pages as needed
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE FOR YOUR BUSINESS
Overview of Steps
- Unhide hidden Input_Data sheet. Enter product categories and product data for your business.
- In Product_Catalog sheet, change logo and tagline text to suit your business.
- In each product’s individual product detail sheet, rename the sheet to match the product name
- Update product image and highlights for each product
- Change formatting – colors, fonts, etc. as needed
Entering product data
Unhide Input_Data sheet.
Select Input_Data Sheet.
Now, the sheet should be open and visible.
Enter Product Categories you need. It is set up for up to 6. If you need only 5, just select the 6th category (cell A8) and hit the Delete key to clear value.
Enter Product Data in the Products table.
Click on a product thumbnail image and choose Change Picture. Select picture from your computer.
Enter product name, price and category.
This ends our product data entry process for one product. Repeat for all products. After you enter all your products, you can hide this sheet. Now, we are ready to customize the catalog/store appearance.
Customize Catalog Appearance
First, in the Product_Catalog sheet, change logo by changing picture as explained above. Change the tagline text to suit your business.
If you want to change the colors, fonts or any formatting, please select cells and change formatting as usual in Excel.
Customizing Product Detail Sheets
You will notice that in the catalog, there are links to product detail sheets. Each product has its own sheet where we have its image and description.
- Rename the sheet to match your product name. If your product name is Cool Product, please rename the sheet to Cool Product.
- Replace image and description with your products’ info.
- I have added two links, one to the product page on the website and the other to go back to Catalog. Replace the web link with your product web page link. You can remove the web link if you don’t need or have.
- (Optional) You can change formatting (colors, fonts) as needed. There are no formulas in the product detail sheet.
Repeat this step for each of your products.
Tip: to insert a bullet as I did in the product highlights, use Alt+0149.
Once you have completed all your product detail sheets, you are done. You can go back to the Product_Catalog sheet and your catalog is ready. Start. Sort, Search, Filter, Scroll. 🙂
You can export to PDF or print as all sheets are set up as print friendly.
- Designed by default for 30 products & 6 product categories. Can be extended if needed.
- Names of Products should match the Product Detail Sheet Names. This allows hyperlinks to function properly.
For more small business templates, please visit Small Business Management Excel Templates
As always, I look forward to your feedback to understand how this can be extended to suit more small business needs. If you have any feedback or suggestions, please leave them in the comments. Thanks.